Section 38(1) of the Communications and Regulatory Act No.19 of 2012(CRA) mandates Botswana Communications Regulatory Authority (BOCRA) to manage and operate the .BW ccTLD in an efficient and non-discriminatory manner to ensure fairness in the use and allocation of the .bw name space. Pursuant to this legal provision, a Technical Advisory Committee made up of the ‘Local Internet Community’ was established. This public-private partnership marked the initial step to facilitating the redelegation of the ccTLD from Botswana Telecommunications Corporation and the University of Botswana to BOCRA.
BOCRA is mandated to manage the .BW as a national resource, in the interest of the public and the industry. BOCRA, as a communications regulator and with full government support, aims to elevate Botswana in the global Internet community.
BOCRA’s role is to, among others:
- Act as a trustee for the .BW country-code-top-level-domain;
- Become the .BW domain administrative contact as well as technical contact;
- Administer the .BW ccTLD and its Second Level Domains;
- Maintain and promote the operational stability and utility of the .BW ccTLD;
- Ensure a cost-effective administration of the .BW ccTLD and its sub-domains;
- Provide name service for all .BW and ensure that the database is secure and stable